CSV Data Source
CSV refers to comma-separated-values, a delimited text file that separates values. It will normally
store plain text in tabular data and enables large amounts of structured and unstructured data to be
registered, stored, processed, and moved between different formats. This means, for example, that
you can move contacts from Gmail, via a CSV file to Outlook.
In a CSV file, the different columns in a table are notated as commas and rows as new lines. This
means that when a business is moving data from one place to another there is a common language
that can be used to do this. This can be very useful to businesses when it comes to using sets of data
that have been collected in different places.
When it comes to using the data stored in a CSV file as a data source in your own data warehouse or
storage process, ETL or ELT is needed. It can be used to pull this data through, enabling effective
analysis and you to be able to gain the best understanding for your business.
ETL Your Data Source
With Gravity Data’s Extract, Transform, Load or Extract, Load, Transform tool you can move your CSV
data through to your own data storage facility at the click of a button. This enables you to make the
reports, analysis, and run the custom SQL queries that are essential to giving you the knowledge and
understanding that you need to make the best decisions for you.
CSV Use Cases
Comma-separated value files are a useful way to store tabular data in a way that can make the
transfer of information quick and effective. Some of its use cases include:
- Access rows
- Access all data in columns
- Move data from one format to another
- Share and receive data
- Compare different data sets
Features of CSV
CSV files are commonly used by businesses all around the world – including the British government.
Some of their features include:
- Plain text format
- Flat file
- Flat, simple schema in data warehouse
- No data manipulation
Create CSV data pipelines
Why use Gravity to build real-time data pipelines with CSV
- Simple: No code set-up of your data pipelines for CSV
- Secure: Enterprise security and accreditations to keep your data safe
- Reliable: Gravity’s real-time engine supports high throughput of CSV and manages failures elegantly to ensure your data arrives at the destination
- Scalable: High volume with autoscaling to support your real-time data pipelines